I am loving having a new boss! Su has been encouraging me to clear out my electronic files and I found this which I wrote about 5 years ago and never used. So here it is!
I have just finished some mentor coaching with a great coach. In our final conversation, she asked me: ‘If you had an hour to share your top tips for mastery’ what would you be sharing? So here’s what’s true for me:
- Mastery is more about formation of me as a human and as a coach than it is about information
- Tone matters – stay in your authority with a light touch
- Be willing to be wrong
- It takes constant practice to be challenging without judgement – notice don’t diagnose
- Say less!
- Never apologise – it interrupts flow and if everything is asked as a question it doesn’t matter if it’s wrong
- Use your body
- Listen to your body as well as your brain
- Don’t work too hard – in conversations and at work!
- The lightest touch has the greatest impact
I’m delighted to say that I still agree with what I wrote then, although I don’t like the word mastery any more – this is about how we need to be so that we can have the best conversations we can have.
You can now listen to this blog through our podcast The Coaching Inn Become a regular by signing up on iTunes, Spotify or Podbean. As well as listening to our blog posts, you’ll hear conversations with coaching authors, thought leaders and people using a coaching approach at the grass roots.
Ⓒ 3D Coaching Ltd 2023
May be distributed freely. Please retain contact details: www.3dcoaching.com and send a copy/ link to firstname.lastname@example.org If you would like to get this by email every week, you can do that here!