In October 2008, CIPD published a report saying that on average HR professionals spend 3.4 hours every week managing conflict at work. What will be possible if you can make more positive interventions before conflict costs big money?
Bringing a third side into a conversation between two staff creates space to think. It means building trust and actively listening as a non-judgmental and sensitive independent facilitator.
Mediation enables you to
- transform tension within your organisation before you reach conflict
- equip and empower people to deal more effectively and constructively with the anger and disagreement experienced
- move from being a ‘community’ divided to one that is bound together in real unity
These are conversations where all have an equal voice and find a way forward together. Like coaching, they only work when everyone comes willingly, even if reluctantly. Before the three-sided conversation, which we facilitate, we will have individual conversations to understand the situation from all sides.
Mediation is a specific process which does not mean being a supporter, advocate, researcher or director. It does mean helping the disputants to find a dignified, empowered, safe route to a fair outcome. It is a voluntary process and therefore is not suitable where participants have been ordered or required to join in.
Sometimes working with a coach can help someone who is experiencing bullying regain control and find a way forward. Find out about one woman’s story.
What do you get for your money?
- the time of an experienced professional who is used to facilitating these processes and is a trained coach
- the independence of someone with no agenda experienced in working across organisational, commercial and faith cultures
Call us on 01462 483798 or email email@example.com to talk about how we can help you. And take a look at our course: How to Be Heard at Work which is designed to encourage your people to communicate earlier and to avoid the need for mediation.
Read more about unexplained grievance Why me?